FOR MORE THAN 40 YEARS...
L'OCCITANE has been using the key principles of phytotherapy* and aromatherapy** for more than 40 years.
Innovation is at the heart of our mission and we have a team of experts representing 20 different scientific disciplines (formulators, agronomists, microbiologists, biologists, toxicologists, dermatologists...). Our experts are working on natural active ingredients to discover new textures and properties and prove their efficiency.
People and nature are at the heart of our products. In addition to continually improving our formulas, we also aim to limit our impact on the environment. We source traceable ingredients from a network of trusted local suppliers and we select these suppliers carefully, building long-lasting relationships. The quality of our ingredients is a high priority (i.e.: protected
We do everything we can to offer you more and more natural formulas. We are always striving to challenge our methods so that we can keep improving, and we are proud of our innovations and duly protect them. As of today, we have filed more than 70 patents.
* Phytotherapy (phyto, plant) is an ancient and traditional medicine based on the use of the natural plant properties.
** Aromatherapy is one of the major areas of herbal medicine. It is a soft medicine based on the use of the natural properties of essential oils.
ECO-FRIENDLY COSMETIC FORMULAS
One of our goals is to make products more natural and more biodegradable in order to reduce their impact on the environment.
Being more natural is an on going objective for our R&D. The naturality of our ingredients and formulas enable us to create products with pleasant textures and proven efficiency. By using ingredients of natural origin, we also ensure a sustainable supply chain, whilst respecting the biodiversity of our planet.
We promote eco-friendly manufacturing for our ingredients by using energy-saving and environmentally friendly technologies. These include distillation (to make essential oils and floral waters), plant maceration and cold pressing (to make plant oils or citrus oils).
CUSTOMER SAFETY HAS ALWAYS AND WILL ALWAYS BE A PRIORITY
We ensure that 100% of all new products are put through rigorous testing resulting in 1,200 clinical tests per year.
We manufacture and control the quality of our products before launching and impose strict international quality and regulatory standards.
Every day, a team of 30 people work to ensure that our products are safe and conform to regulation. Their work starts at the design stage and continues throughout the entire marketing life-cycle.
The efficiency of our ingredients is proven through in-vitro laboratory tests and state-of-the-art prediction methods. However, we always complete this with additional consumer tests and in-vivo clinical studies. Our clinical studies are carried out by independent doctors (dermatologists, ophthalmologists and pediatrics). They use dermatological checks in real life conditions, or instrumental measurements on a panel of volunteers.
INGREDIENTS WE PRIORITISE IN OUR FORMULAS
- INGREDIENTS SOURCED IN PROVENCE & THE MEDITERRANEAN BASSIN
- MORE THAN 40 ESSENTIAL OILS including Immortelle, Lavender, Cade, Myrtle or Rosemary
- FLORAL WATERS including Verbena, Rose, Lavender and Immortelle
- PLANT MACERATES
- PLANT OILS over 20 oils such as sweet Almond, evening Primrose and Borage
- PLANT BUTTERS such as Shea, Coconut and Almond
- PLANT EXTRACTS such as oily or aqueous extracts
- NATURAL EXFOLIERS such as Sugar, Salt and Almond hulls
- NATURAL ANTIOXIDANTS such as Rosemary extract
- NATURAL GELLING AGENTS
- MINERAL COLORANTS
- GMO-FREE INGREDIENTS
- GLUTEN FREE INGREDIENTS
- BIODEGRADABLE INGREDIENTS
- WATER purified, skin-friendly water obtained using a triple filtration technique
INGREDIENTS WE DO NOT USE
- ANIMAL MATTER we don't use any product or by-product of animal origin with the exception of bee products such as honey, propolis (bee glue) and royal jelly
- PARABENS As they are suspected to be an endocrine disruptors
- TRICLOSAN As they are suspected to be an endocrine disruptor
- DMDM HYDANTOIN As it generates Formaldehyde and is classified CMR (Carcinogenic Mutagenic and Reprotoxic)
- BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole) As it is suspected to be an endocrine disruptor
- BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) As it is suspected to be an endocrine disruptor
- BENZOPHENONES 1 AND 3 As they are suspected of being endocrine disruptors and proven to be harmful for corals
- CYCLOTETRASILOXANE (D4) As it is suspected of being an endocrine disruptor and very polluting for the environment
- PHTHALATES As these are suspected of being endocrine disruptors
- MICROBEADS As these represent a real threat to the environment.
INGREDIENTS WE USE WITH DISCRETION
AND FOR WHICH WE ARE CONSTANTLY LOOKING TO REPLACE WITH MORE NATURAL AND "GREEN" ALTERNATIVES
- PHENOXYETHANOL used as a preservative to maintain the quality of the formula over time
- SILICONES used to provide a silky texture and a soft non-sticky finish, facilitating product application
- ETHYLHEXYL METHOXYCINNAMATE used as an anti-UV suscreen that protects the skin and the product from harmful sunrays
- PEG used as emulsifiers that provide a pleasant texture and maintain the quality of the formula over time, or as cleaning or foaming agents that help enhance foam formation when the product is being applied
- SULFATES used as emulsifiers or foaming agents to provide a pleasant texture, contribute to the uniform distribution of the product, and maintain the quality and stability of the formula over time
- MINERAL OIL DERIVATIVES (Isoparaffin, Ozokerite) fatty substances used to improve sensoriality and maintain the quality of the formula over time
- PHMB (Polyhexamethylene Biguanide) used as a preservative to maintain the quality of the formula over time
- DISODIUM EDTA used as a stabiliser as, when combined with other ingredients, it contributes to the stability of the formula over time
- ALLERGENS found in perfumes or natural plant extracts, listing is compulsory, even if the concentration is very low
- FRAGRANCES our perfumes are mostly built around a core of natural essences and all satisfy a stringent components charter, respecting the ban on phthalates, polycyclic musks or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
ALL OF OUR PRODUCTS ARE FULLY COMPLIANT WITH INTERNATIONAL REGULATIONS.
TO GET MORE INFORMATION FOR EACH OF THESE INGREDIENTS CLICK HERE